Summer of Pony 2012 - Introduction [Update: Schedule!]

Rosewind

Hark! Fair denizens of Canterlot! With Season 2 on our heels and a long summer ahead before the curtain rises on Season 3, I would like to extend my hoof and invite all of you to an idea that Weesh and I have been developing.

We're all counting the seconds until S3 starts!

VVAJs.png

The Weesh Logistics Institute™ estimates that S3 might start around mid-September. What to do? Sure, we can mare-a-thon both seasons -- and that's a lot of fun. But what about re-experiencing them in a different, fun, and collaborative way with friends?

For this idea, Weesh and I proudly present the:

BYHux.png

The Summer of Pony 2012 is basically an extended mare-a-thon with bonus treats! Each Friday/Saturday, we'll make a new SoP thread called a "session," that will invite you to re-watch a few episodes with us. We'll then discuss, reflect, and share art, pony videos/PMVs related to the session, ideas, stories, debate, and point out stuff we might have missed the first time. If you need a pony fix every weekend and want to share your thoughts with the group, this is your answer, friends! A lot of us missed the first "official" air date threads on Canterlot during the early months of FiM's history, so this will be a chance for us to go back and talk about older episodes with each other!

Additionally, we have some ideas in the skunkworks for the "bonus" stuff we could do:

1 minute MS paint pony drawings. Find the frame.

Redub the scene. Hall of Shame.

How I would have fixed it. How I would have messed it up.

Why didn't they...Shorter and shorter summaries.

Silly polls. Change the story's setting.

Two things I liked and one I didn't game.

Trope count. Shipping watch.

Everypony is invited, and everypony is welcome and encouraged to contribute! Any thoughts or support on how we can expand this thing and make it super duper awesome and fun is definitely welcome! We're planning on launching the first session this weekend, and we should have around twenty total for both seasons. Awww yeah!

The beauty of this little event is that you are welcome to watch the episodes for that week on your own time -- or watch them all on the weekend, then jump in and join us in the thread for the fun and discussion. We only ask that you freshly watch the episodes to keep with the spirit of re-experiencing the content!

Our current schedule!

[Episodes can be found on iTunes or elsewhere, such as on the Hub channel or official website. If you need assistance, PM one of us!]

The Canterlot Admins -- as well as Weesh and myself -- impress that the iTunes episodes are a great way to support the show, and ensure the production of future seasons of FiM, so we will not be providing any public information on how to watch episodes outside of reputable, legal resources.

(Session - Date - Episode Numbers - Episode Names)

I - Apr 28 - 1,2,3 - Friendship is Magic, Ticket Master

II - May 5 - 4,5 - Applebuck Season, Griffon the Brush Off

III - May 12 - 6,7,8 - Boast Busters, Dragonshy, Look Before you Sleep

IV - May 19 - 9,10 - Bridal Gossip, Swarm of the Century

V - May 26 - 11,12,13 - Winter Wrap Up, Call of the Cutie, Fall weather Friends

VI - June 2 - 14,15 - Suited for Success, Feeling Pinkie Keen

VII - June 9 - 16,17,18 - Sonic Rainboom, Stare Master, Show Stoppers

VIII - June 16 - 19,20 - Dog and Pony Show, Green isn't your Color

IX - June 23 - 21,22,23 - Over a Barrel, Bird in the Hoof, Cutie Mark Chronicles

X - June 30 - 24,25 - Owl's Well that Ends Well, Party of One

XI - July 7 - 26,1,2 - Best Night Ever, Return to Harmony

XII - July 14 - 3,4 - Lesson Zero, Luna Eclipsed

XIII - July 21 - 5,6,7 - Sisterhooves Social, Cutie Pox, May the Best Pet Win

XIV - July 28 - 8,9 - Mysterious Mare Do Well, Sweet and Elite

XV - Aug 4 - 10,11,12 - Secret of my Excess, Family Appreciation Day, Baby Cakes

XVI - Aug 11 - 13,14 - Hearth's Warming Eve, Last Roundup

XVII - Aug 18 - 15,16,17 - Super Speedy Cider Squeezy, Read it and Weep, Hearts and Hooves

XVIII - Aug 25 - 18,19 - A Friend in Deed, Putting your Hoof Down

XIX - Sept 1 - 20,21,22 - It's about Time, Dragon Quest, Hurricane Fluttershy

XX - Sept 8 - 23,24 - Ponyville Confidential, MMMystery on the Friendship Express

XXI - Sept 15 - 25,26 - A Canterlot Wedding

If S3 doesn't kick off before or near the end, we'll do bonus session mare-a-thons of Friendship is Witchcraft and other popular, culture-forming pony videos. If S3 begins before SoP12 is over, the universe will explode.

Weesh and I are stilling ironing out the details. For example, we've discussed how it might be confusing to talk about several episodes at once in the same thread, so we're going to separate certain ones. We feel comfortable that most participants have actually seen the episodes before; we're just rewatching them fresh and talking about it. We might throw up a PMV or two to tie in with the episodes, maybe post up some art relevant the thread or challenge everyone to do an MS paint scene from one of the episodes in a minute and have everypony guess which episode/scene it's from.

We aim make it really fun and complimentary to whatever is going on, with the ultimate goal of getting a weekend pony fix and having people to talk to about it -- which should carry us right to the door of S3.

Well said Rosewind.

As the two of us flex our creative muscles in pursuit of a fresh look at the episodes, I also want to invite you guys to partner with us. If you come up with a special hook for a particular session, feel free to pass it on, etc, etc.

But we're not allowed to link to even YouTube episodes of FiM.

There's always Livestream then, if anyone has a cable, Fiber, or really high-speed DSL connection... I've never used it, but you might even be able to use official iTunes vidoes then, so there's no piracy? (again, never used it, might or might not work) but I know somone who's Livestreamed Youtube, which also provides a Chatroom during the stream, so that might be a good option.)

Can we get an official word from a mod if it's okay to link to a SynchTube room?

There's always PMs, I suppose?

I posted our schedule in the OP, go looksee!

I would PM Artax and Manestream, explaining what you want to do. Let them know you are not linking directly or embedding episodes here but instead just want to have a link to your SynchTube room for this (be sure to link and explain this thread too), hopefully they will be cool with that (at least tat is my hope).

Considering that Hasbro's opinion is that youtube episodes are okay maybe they can be allowed. Its not exactly pirating if the people who own the material are okay with it

Even though it seems okay with Hasbro, it's not okay with Canterlot. I have no desire to violate the forum rules by linking to certain content.

Thank you for the suggestion, Brian. I've whisked a PM to the powers-that-be to ask for clarification about what is okay or not okay to link.

Any idea what time on the scheduled dates these sessions will take place?

Weesh and I plan to have a Session thread up and active around Friday night or early Saturday morning.

Considering that Hasbro's opinion is that youtube episodes are okay maybe they can be allowed. Its not exactly pirating if the people who own the material are okay with it

Any time an episode gets taken off of YouTube, it claims to be because of copyright infringement of Hasbro Inc., or some such.

Please, if they've made a statement saying YouTube uploads are okay, a link would be nice.