Official Discussion Thread - S04E11 Three's a Crowd

It is that time of the week again when we all huddle around our computers and televisions and watch adorable ponies do adorable pony things. In this week's episode, Twilight Sparkle finally gets to spend some quality time again with her former foalsitter and now sister-in-law. However a friend with a penchant for mischief claims illness and claims to need Twilight to care for them. What happens? Will we get a song? Find out in just a few hours! Please discuss the episode, but remember to keep the spoilers in the spoilers bracket. Episode airs Saturday 10 AM EST on January 25th.

Discord_showing_a_map_to_Twilight_and_Cadance_S4E11.png

I think he is holding a map of

Westeros :-|

WOW. This episode was great. I think it captured a lot of the character and whimsy of S1 era pony writing. Discord was spot on; every second something interesting or outrageous was happening; the song was a blast and hammered out too many parodies, crossovers, and shout outs to list. Great moral and funny ending. I finished this episode elated and grinning. This was an easy 10/10!

I like how this episode teased RariJack then it was like NOPE. Bwahahaha!

I think this episode is a reminder of what makes FiM really awesome.

Yeah. This here was one of the most purely entertaining episodes so far this season, and that's saying quite a lot. Thoroughly fun.

A great recovery after the somewhat uneven episode last week. All the characters were written right, even when they had just a few moments. Pinkie was silly in the right ways and not just empty volume. Rarity had the right amount of sass, AJ's charm didn't feel forced and RD was effectively RD. More importantly, for our first "Twilight episode" since the opener, Twilight was just about perfect. Cadance was also in top form and a delight to see again.

Of course, calling this a Twilight episode is maybe a bit of a misnomer. Sure, she's in most of it, reacting angrily and letting things get under her skin in adorable little ways, but the real star was Discord. This episode was a big platform for him to show how awesome he can still be post-reformation with continuous non-stop trolling. Discord is written exceptionally well here. It tops the opener in that regard.The song sequence is the best part, but it's all pretty hilarious. Both John de Lancie and the thoroughly creative storyboarders and animators need to be commended for being able to make this character come alive so well.

This episode had a lot of fun little nods to episodes past and future. We had a nice little setup for the future Breezies episode as our means of writing out Fluttershy. Speaking of whom, I'm relieved to see is in actual correspondence with Discord; as dismissive as he was during the opener, I was worried they were tossing out much of what Keep Calm did, but it seems it was all more or less affected. We also have more references to Stawswirl, this time in the form of a travelling exhibit. I believe I may have even seen a certain guardspony from a certain movie at the train station. I appreciate the show's effort to allow more continuity this season. it just makes it more fun.

Twi and Cadance fighting a giant monster worm was also fun. Wasn't expecting to see that today. I kind of wanted to know what that thing was called, but I don't think they ever said. Either way, it was a fun moment seeing our two princesses team up and shoot lots of magic beams. I like seeing Cadance being awesome.

Life in the Crystal Empire has gotten too predictable though, huh, Cadance? Hehe. Oh, Shining Armor, you're not doing your job right... :smirk:

It's a tatzlwurm, Raridash. I wasn't expecting it either. Corsy reflected that the events of our old Mane 6 thread with the underground wurm thing is now canon, lol.

Yes! that's a good point. :D

Tatzlwurm sounds cool. Glad to have it in the ever expanding Equestrian bestiary.

It was wacky, it was crazy and completely off the wall. There are no words needed to describe my thoughts for this episode.

To quote from my tweet this morning:

"Whew! Crazy, wacky and completely off the wall! Another great episode is in the history books! Really enjoyed this one."

Now for those who haven't seen the episode just yet, I have spoilered my thoughts on the episode below out of respect:

Despite the mix up in the episode synopsis with this one and the big one next week, this episode for me was a fun one to watch apart from my (former) hatred for Discord.

If there has to be one part of the episode that the fans are talking about, it would have to be the song number with Discord. It started off slow and then suddenly picked up speed and by the half way point I couldn't keep up with the song. It was pure chaotic mayhem for two magical minutes complete with every pop culture reference that you can throw at it!

The stream chats on BronyState and HaxMega plus the official Twitter hashtag exploded during the song, and I also chipped in with my thoughts at the end of the song number:

"To those who think John de Lancie is not well known for his singing, then those critics have been proven wrong this morning."

Apart from that, the episode storyline provided a change of scenery from the usual fare and seeing Princess Cadence again as well as a fan favourite character (which I won't reveal here) return from the EQG world gave the episode a little kick.

Overall, this episode cannot be described in more than three words.

Crazy. Chaotic. Off the Wall.

I also have written my full thoughts on the episode itself on my blog, which can be viewed here.

Life in the Crystal Empire has gotten too predictable though, huh, Cadance? Hehe. Oh, Shining Armor, you're not doing your job right... :smirk:

Why does nobody want to app Cadence's husband? :\

Wonderful episode, great storywriting, fun song and of course John Delancie! I can barely think of how it could have been better! (well, maybe a little but the ways I'm think are highly opinion-oriented)

Few thoughts:

-Laughed at the parody in the cold opening with the three "big news" announcements from the ponies, though glad they didn't keep rolling with all six, it would have gotten old.

-LOVED the design of the crystal empire train!

-Pinkie's ADD is even worse then Dashie's x_x (though at least it doesn't cause her to crash like it does dash...)

-Called it from the first scene with discord that he was faking (but love how even "reformed" he finds ways to still be a villian, albeit a toned-back one)

-little more lore on starswirl, seems he did a lot more than sit in his tower/castle/etc and write spells

-loved the song, felt a little Dr Seuss-y and lots of fun.

-Discord's golden chariot's design was awesome!

-wonderful surprise that the flower was as big as a tree!

-Why is there a Sarlax in equestria?!?!?

-little dissapointed that the silly 'pendant' at the end wasn't another rainbow-item (of course it would be silly if it were since discord made it, but it would symbolize Twilight's magic and friendship, so...)

-dissapointed that Discord was just there to torment twilight, given his little 'speach' at the beginning about Twi and cadence not being that close anymore, I was hoping he would say that he did this so help strengthen their friendship and ensure they still cared for each other... but no, he was just being a troll... (and here I thought after the season premier he was going to shift from an antagonist to a Trickster Mentor)

-Laughed so hard that discord had no idea the giant worm-thing even existed, and laughed even harder when all it did was sneeze all over him

-Fun ending with discord getting what he deserved but even then fluttershy was forgiving and still willing to be his friend (and he still seems genuine about caring about her)

Enjoyed the episode...And a couple of things..

Is this the first time an actual image of Star Swirl has shown up in an episode?

And they said Flash wasn't gonna show up this episode. There he is, giving Twilight a look. :-|

We get to see the start of an another episode with Fluttershy (It An't Easy Being Breezies)

Love how the others expected Rarity to pull out her old 'fainting couch'.

Love the look on the others when Discord is walking around with the opened hospital gown...

And we get another horrible monster (Tatzlwurm) for the RPs...Yay!

Tatzlwurm I think it means "Tunnel WORM" in German... Explaining some grudge on their part hailing from AppleBuck Season (Baked Bads). Also "Tremors" reference (they are grreat).

Discord had the Xerxes carriage from the R movie '300' at least it had wheels...

Maaany not kid friendly movie references... I expect/fear (expear?) a Scarface reference before season's end.(wanna play games? Say hello to my little friend! then Pinkie unholsters her Party Cannon)

I found Christal Train slightly disturbing...

Toilet!

Could have gone well when they're at the exhibition. The singing, a glass of water then turns into a full-on list of other stuff too. I am surprised for Discord is trying to play around with them.

Hoho, that worm, it does look intimidating, but until you run into the fanart versions of it. It is part sandworm from Dune & graboids from Tremors. Nice reference. Oh yeah, I also notice Harry Potter & Star Wars too.

The end, gladly Cadance is getting something out of her visit. We knew the Empire has been in peace for so long, definitely the royal ponies may become feeling bored without anything wrong happening. Oh, Flash Sentry, the Twitter entry earlier said he will not appear again, huh? Whoops, that is busted. Although just for a cameo, but at least the crew managed to keep him alive. Hopefully he'll be seen again when the Equestria Games start.

But is it just me or was it the episode have some audio syncing problems?

I didn't really notice any audioproblems, as for my thoughts though.

I loved the episode, an interesting song and we got a little more insight into Cadence's personality.

As for Discord's chariot, it's a reference to 300 rather than Gazelle and Lion heads like on xerzes throne though, they're heads of himself. (I'd post a picture of a comparison, but currently my normal image hosting site seems to be down.)

Wow I just watched it, the worm they have to fight at the end remembers me of the monsters from the movie tremors( I don't know if any one has seen that). But pretty good message overall. Kind of ironic how Discord got sick towards the end, considering he wasn't sick in the first place.

The audio syncing problems occur when I was watching the Youtube copy, now it's no longer there due to copyright issues. But I'm glad the audio syncs nicely when I grab the Dailymotion copy.

So anyway, yes, Warmen, welcome aboard. I'm happy to know that Cadance tells what the Empire is doing so far, it'll get bored when there's mostly peace reigning it.

And of course, Leapman, a lot of people notice it's more like Tremors, ordinary worm, meh, but with tongues and badass attitude of wanting to eat those mares, yeah! Hoho, that's our Tremors graboids in action. So yes, I've seen the movies, all 4 of them and including the TV series (in proper storyline order).

Archived