Official Discussion Thread - S04E19 For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils

It is that time of the week again when we all huddle around our computers and televisions and watch adorable ponies do adorable pony things. In this week's episode, we have an episode centered around the absolutely most adorable pony ever, Sweetie Belle! There is a schism between her and Rarity, why? Well, find out more in just a few hours! Please discuss the episode, but remember to keep the spoilers in the spoilers bracket. Episode airs Saturday 10:30 AM EST on March 22nd.

Sweetie_Belle%27s_nightmare_S4E19.png

Simba, Simba!

:idea: Er..I mean Sweetie Belle, Sweetie Belle! :scream::unsure:

I'm pretty excited. :D

(tagged spoiler for attempting to predict the episode and showing bits of the premise)

Especially since there could be potential parallels in regards to Sweetie Belle's situation and Luna's past predicament. I mean, both are/were angry at their big sisters for getting all the attention. Maybe Luna will show Sweetie Belle a glimpse of when she was having "sister problems" to help her learn a lesson. That would be awesome. I'm always up for some more Celestia and Luna past revealing. And since it's a dream, there's a possible chance we'll see Nightmare Sweetie Belle.

Sadly, I have a long road trip today so I'll miss the first airing of the episode. But from the released clips and plot info, I think this one's going to be easy to predict.

Hopefully, this will be a great ep with (I hope) a fun song and lots of Luna in it.

:D:D:D

I agree with mojo,

After all, we have only seen luna in like, 4 episodes so far in the whole show :angry:

Seriously! what's the point of making a princess if we hardly get to see her! It seems to me that tia is used to much....

This episode was bottom tier of Season 4 for me. Sweetie Belle acts like spoiled brat and regrets it. We've already been through this with her and Rarity. Luna was a nice touch, but you could throw any character at this, and it would still retain the same message with the same resolution. It felt slow and dis-interesting to start, and lacked any real interesting moments. As a "get along with your older sister" episode and message, this episode delivered, but I think the end result was rote, bland, and didn't really execute as well as it could have with any twist or character development outside the norm. 4/10.

This was pretty fun. :)

It could have perhaps been better. It wasn't quite as good as the other Rarity episodes this season, and certainly wasn't as good as the last Rarity/Sweetie episode the show had, Sisterhooves Social. Still, I enjoyed. Sweetie Belle is adorable and it's good to see her back in the spotlight. More Rarity is also good too, especially in her role as a big sister, which is something we haven't gotten a lot of really. I think this was a pretty interesting new take on their relationship. Sweetie reacts as she often does with envy and resentment, but in a different way than she did in Sisterhooves. It shows a progression in their relationship, I think then. I also think in the end that Sweetie has learned a better understanding. Though yeah, it's only Sweetie who does this time. Unlike Sisterhooves' it's all from Sweetie Belle's perspective so it isn't quite as multi-layered in its portrayal of the two, with Rarity not doing anything wrong or learning anything.

And it's thanks to Luna that Sweetie is learning that lesson. She was utilized well I think. She takes a more hooves on role here than she did with Scootaloo. And that seems to be because she sees parallels in Sweetie Belle's jealousy to her own. That made it kind of poignant and tender, especially in the end when she actually shows up in the flesh to assist Rarity. I would have loved maybe a shot of Luna and Celestia together toward the end (we need more Celestia period this season). Still, Luna worked well and the dream was probably the best part. It had some gorgeous animation and was just interesting. Seeing the possible future for Rarity was interesting; poor Rarity, even in a dream it's never good to see her end up like that. It was just a well executed sequence and I think it was easy to see how it affected Sweetie as it did. Whaever the case, I'll be interested to see how Luna is next utilized. In an Apple Bloom episode, it would follow, maybe?

Then there was Sapphire Shores. I had actually forgotten she existed pretty much. It was kind of good to see her again though, and in a bigger role than before. Confirmation that she's kept Rarity as her favorite designer is nice. I wonder if we'll ever get to hear some of her music. Must be good if Scootaloo and Apple Bloom are fans.

Really, it probably could have used more humor. Dave Polsky is usually good for that. It had it's moments, but it was perhaps just slightly dry. Certainly not as much fun as Polsky's earlier stab at Rarity this season. That said, it was an enjoyable time overall. Probably a mid-tier episode season wise, but one that certainly had enough fun moments and interesting ideas to make it memorable in the least.

An interesting episode.

Not in my top favorites, but pretty cute. Having grown up an only child, I never experienced a "sibling rivalry" or "growing up in big brother's/sister's shadow" sort of thing. On the one hand, I can see how Sweetie could get annoyed being in her sister's shadow. When you're related to someone so well known, I imagine its hard to have a moment all to yourself where you're shining. Perhaps if she was to explain a bit better, how none of the ponies seemed to be talking about any other part of her play but Rarity's dresses, the situation might have been different. But of course, Rarity doesnt purposely get in Sweetie's way in order to boost her own status. Rarity does alot for Sweetie out of love, and I think Sweetie needed a bit of a reminder, hence Luna.

Personally I loved it. I love Sweetie Belle and the other crusaders in this episode. Luna was maximum bossness once again. The title of this episode is a play on a famous Hemingway book as well as an iconic Metallica song, both of which I love. It was pretty good in my opinion.

This episode was bottom tier of Season 4 for me. Sweetie Belle acts like spoiled brat and regrets it. We've already been through this with her and Rarity. Luna was a nice touch, but you could throw any character at this, and it would still retain the same message with the same resolution. It felt slow and dis-interesting to start, and lacked any real interesting moments. As a "get along with your older sister" episode and message, this episode delivered, but I think the end result was rote, bland, and didn't really execute as well as it could have with any twist or character development outside the norm. 4/10.

I think there is a much deeper lesson then get along with your older sister. I think the message is, don't let your anger or jealousy control your actions and don't make judgments until you know the full story from the others perspective.

Sweetie Belle was angry at Rarity and she let it control her, almost causing a lot of bad things to happen as we saw in her nightmare. We all have been mad before, but I think this episode tells us that we should not let it get the better of us and learn to keep ourselves calm and think before acting on impulse. And more then anything we should get the other's side of the story before we make a judgment towards them.

At least that's what I think the message is.

Wow. Just wow. To quote from my tweet....

"Ok, calling it now. This episode is deep. Emotionally deep. Well written and well performed. Outstanding!"

Anyway, despite the events of the last 24 hours, let's get into the episode write up itself and as always, the thoughts of the episode are spoilered below:

What can I say? This tested my emotions, anxiety, stress levels and even my PTSD. I don't normally say that when I come to describing how I felt about the episode, but as mentioned before, I wasn't that good with my siblings in my younger years and some of the scenes got me a bit anxious as such.

The dream sequence with Luna and Sweetie Belle was the one scene that I couldn't watch without having to turn away from the screen, but it wasn't by choice. While there were some scenes that I enjoyed, mainly the first half the sequence with Sweetie's 5th birthday party and seeing a foal sized variant of her trying to emulate her big sister and eventually ending up with Sweetie in tears.

But for some reason, I couldn't watch the whole sequence without having to mute the sound on my headphones or turn away from the monitor. However, I have to give the DHX team credit when it came to conveying the message across by pushing the boundaries with the visual designs.

Apart from that, the story was well written and even the inclusion of Sapphire Shores was a huge bonus plus the play sequence with the CMC was also great, especially with the costume designs!

I also have written my full thoughts on the episode itself on my blog, which can be viewed here.

Also if anyone is interested, I wrote a special piece based on the episode's subject (siblings) and my life experiences on my deviantART journal here.

I'm with the person above,

I like this episode. It shows that the 2 have a lot of misunderstanding between each other, and it seems Luna have played a bigger role than Scootaloo last time, she helped Sweetie Belle to open up her consciousness on the consequences on what will happen if she destroys one of Rarity's important dresses rather than just some simple prank or payback. Gosh, what a nightmare!

Overall, the episode kind of reminds me of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" story. And it seems our Luna is playing all 3 ghosts, the order still follows as Past, Present & Future, and definitely the nightmare on Sweetie is taking a toll when Rarity gave up fashion & tailoring, breaks down to become insane and her business has gone cold with spiders and darkness around her boutique, oh dear, such nightmare really make Sweetie scream just as Scrooge screams when his properties get stolen while he died on his bed, and finally at his his grave, neglected which nobody will visit him for he is the wretched man himself. For Sweetie's case, she finally understand that Rarity has a responsibility and she's not some celebrity to take spotlights for herself, overall, it's mostly a misunderstanding and even the ending, Sweetie realized that the crowd loves the dresses and it was the dresses they admire, not Rarity.

I give a 4.25 or 4.5 Star on this one, I normally don't like sad or bad moments, but I find it touching when Sweetie is still young and hard to understand. It's all so sad when their parents were not there to help her prepare for her 5th birthday. :(

Oh yeah, I really wish Sapphire Shores have been almost more towards Michael Jackson when the title "Pony of Pop" is mentioned many times. I really wish she does, I just love her "Owww...." or even when she rehearse her dance, I totally want to see MJ's signature Smooth Criminal anti-gravity lean.

I really liked this one. As the other two above me have said, it was emotionally powerful stuff. Especially the future sequence. Really deep episodes are my favorite so this one's definitely somewhere on my top 5 list. :D

Speaking of deep episodes, I really like the style of that too, although G1 delivered that kind of storyline far more often than the other generations like G2 & G4. Well, G2 is more towards slice of life while G4 is a mixture of genres.

I thought this episode had a very well put message.

For all ages, that is.

If you truly understand it, you would have to think this episode is deep in a great way.

There may be some people who never had siblings, but they could compare their friends as closest to siblings.

In fact, this isn't just about siblings, it's about everyone you know as friends and family.

I don't agree with Rosewind, but it's just her opinion on it.

As is mine.

It's just Rosewind thinks that their issue have already been settled for good... that would be disappointing for me, honestly.

Siblings are a more complicated thing to go through than one would think, whether they're friends or flesh and blood.

Sorry Rosewind, I mean no serious offense, but you disapproved this episode, like you said, bottom tier... not cool, sister.

You can have those that get along very well, those that will eventually get along, those that might get along, and those that won't.

Rarity and Sweetie Belle are those that will get along very well, if not so soon.

Rosewind saw it as "Oh, please, we've been through this, we don't have to do this again." Whatever episode she was talking about was different... it never happened "again", the only thing that happened again was a sibling issue, not the same problem again.

If she referred to Sisterhoove's Social, that episode was about one sibling trying to do something with another sibling.

This episode was about jealousy and misunderstanding among the siblings.

Sweetie was prejudicial about Rarity's actions towards her theatrical play, and ruined Rarity's outfit for a celebrity as payback.

It was not poorly executed for me, it was executed fine.

Sure, it based it on a Christmas Carol ideal, but because this episode used that idea, they let Luna show one of her many powers... I like that ability.

I would like Luna to be shown more, but I'm not gonna complain... she helped Sweetie Belle understand the situation about siblings' jealousy.

So, I give this a 7.4/10

This episode was average, I guess. We've seen this storyline done better in MLP before, and I couldn't sympathize with Sweetie Belle one bit during the first half. But it's always nice to get trippy dreams with Luna. :Luna:

• 2 weeks later...

Catching up, and just saw this eppisode. I dont see why threre are so many neigh-sayers, I LOVED it... but then I love all CMC episodes, so its kinda prejudiced... seriopusly, though, while i did see that it was a sibling issue same as SHS, i also could tell it was a completely different issue, and the resolution was epic - especially with luna comming to SB in her waking life instead of only be in her dreams. I think this also says a lot about luna that she will help ponies with their problems in life instead of just in their dreams, which makes her a far more active princess than celestia is...

I didnt even notice the similarity to a christmas carol, but when i think about it, i do agree and i think it was a well-done nod as well.

on a completely unrelated note, its good to see SB can now use her magic properly (and that scootaloo can readily hover now, even if she cant fly) though sdly i think this is the beginning of the end - they are starting to overcome their limitations and soon they'll earn their marks and the CMC will dissband T_T that will be the second-saddest episode except for the ultimate series finale...

Archived