Official Discussion Thread - S04E13 Simple Ways

It is that time of the week again when we all huddle around our computers and televisions and watch adorable ponies do adorable pony things. In this week's episode, Rarity is all excited when she discovers that the latest crush of her's will be in Ponyville (how is it that Rarity doesn't date all the time? Being so attractive and all, I digress... :scream: ). However this Trenderhoof has eyes for Applejack (and who can blame him, amiright? :smug: ). So do we get an awkward love triangle? Will there be new material for RariJack shippers? Find out in just a few hours! Please discuss the episode, but remember to keep the spoilers in the spoilers bracket. Episode airs Saturday 10 AM EST on February 8th. :AJ::Rarity:

Rarity_and_Applejack_looking_at_each_other_promotional_S4E13.jpg

And then they kissed...

what? it's saterday already?! i need a break...... *facedesk*

i don't personally ship RariJack but i like to see the pictures that some artists who do come up with. Plus they finaly made an episode msot likely directed to the older audience since it involves dating and such. i can't wait to see how this epuisode turns out ;):smug:

Oh my god, I loved this one. Seriously, in terms of humor probably the funniest so far this season. Plus it was a Rarity episode so yay! :D

I wasn't entirely sure what to think about this one going in. Reading the summary made it clear it was about Rarity having a crush on some celebrity stallion again, something that in my headcanon at least, she had moved beyond after Blueblood. Additionally, it was yet another episode focusing on Rarity's relationship with Applejack; while I don't dislike RariJack at all as a ship, the bizarre insistence of certain unamed members for the Canterlot.com staff has made me a little less excited to embrace it than I otherwise would have been. At the same time, it was another season four Rarity episode and it was written by new writer Josh Haber, who in his excellent and funny debut, Castle Mane-ia, wrote a hilarious and perfectly on point Rarity.

Ultimately I went in not knowing what to expect, and, well, the episode was thoroughly enjoyable. Seriously, Rarity is just non stop amazing here. She's just so ridiculous and amusing to watch. I love her so much. <3 Haber really know what he's doing with her and how to really get the maximum amount of humor out of every little moment. Tabitha deserves a lot of the credit though too of course. The ending was especially hilarious, when she had to act Rarity doing a painfully awful, hokey country accent. It was just so glorious. Also, more proof that Rarity looks amazing in anything. Her first "farm" outfit was adorable and for my tastes, she even looked cute in the ridiculous second one.

This episode was also a very clear reminder of why, way back when I was first falling in love with the show, Applejack was my favorite pony. Seeing Applejack all deadpan as she fended off Trenderhoof's aimless of advances kept me smiling throughout. She was the most amusing she's been in a while, and didn't just fade into the background like she sometimes does. Also, gotta say she looked really cute in that dress.

The new character Trenderhoof was kind of fun. Kind of self-absorbed and ridiculous, but in a more subtle way than Blueblood.Watching him go ll crazy for AJ was certainly amusing. Seriously though, I hope Rarity's learned her lesson this time not to obsess over famous ponies she's never even met. Two times now where it just hasn't worked out and they've ended up mistreating her. Maybe now she'll learn that she can find everything she needs right there in Ponyville with Rainbow Dash. <3

So yeah, I was really pleased with this. Was it as overwhelmingly awesome as last week's, or the week before? Maybe not. Was it even qualitatively as good and well rounded as the last Rarity episode? I;m not sure. For me, it was one of the funniest in a long while though, and that is worth a lot.

Oh my god, I loved this one. Seriously, in terms of humor probably the funniest so far this season. Plus it was a Rarity episode so yay! :D

I wasn't entirely sure what to think about this one going in. Reading the summary made it clear it was about Rarity having a crush on some celebrity stallion again, something that in my headcanon at least, she had moved beyond after Blueblood. Additionally, it was yet another episode focusing on Rarity's relationship with Applejack; while I don't dislike RariJack at all as a ship, the bizarre insistence of certain unamed members for the Canterlot.com staff has made me a little less excited to embrace it than I otherwise would have been. At the same time, it was another season four Rarity episode and it was written by new writer Josh Haber, who in his excellent and funny debut, Castle Mane-ia, wrote a hilarious and perfectly on point Rarity.

Ultimately I went in not knowing what to expect, and, well, the episode was thoroughly enjoyable. Seriously, Rarity is just non stop amazing here. She's just so ridiculous and amusing to watch. I love her so much. <3 Haber really know what he's doing with her and how to really get the maximum amount of humor out of every little moment. Tabitha deserves a lot of the credit though too of course. The ending was especially hilarious, when she had to act Rarity doing a painfully awful, hokey country accent. It was just so glorious. Also, more proof that Rarity looks amazing in anything. Her first "farm" outfit was adorable and for my tastes, she even looked cute in the ridiculous second one.

This episode was also a very clear reminder of why, way back when I was first falling in love with the show, Applejack was my favorite pony. Seeing Applejack all deadpan as she fended off Trenderhoof's aimless of advances kept me smiling throughout. She was the most amusing she's been in a while, and didn't just fade into the background like she sometimes does. Also, gotta say she looked really cute in that dress.

The new character Trenderhoof was kind of fun. Kind of self-absorbed and ridiculous, but in a more subtle way than Blueblood.Watching him go ll crazy for AJ was certainly amusing. Seriously though, I hope Rarity's learned her lesson this time not to obsess over famous ponies she's never even met. Two times now where it just hasn't worked out and they've ended up mistreating her. Maybe now she'll learn that she can find everything she needs right there in Ponyville with Rainbow Dash. <3

So yeah, I was really pleased with this. Was it as overwhelmingly awesome as last week's, or the week before? Maybe not. Was it even qualitatively as good and well rounded as the last Rarity episode? I;m not sure. For me, it was one of the funniest in a long while though, and that is worth a lot.

This pretty much sums up my opinion as well. I love it because it reminded me a little of Look before you Sleep. And I was excited ever since I read the premise cause Rarity and Applejack are so entertaining together. It did not disappoint, and had lots of reminders as to why AJ is my favorite pony. :smug: It was just awesome and hilarious. A great follow up to the amazing Pinkie Pride! Good lesson too. I didn't think I'd say this so soon but it looks like season 4 might be the best season yet. I get more and more excited for new episodes every week! :D

Now before I begin the usual weekend write-up on the episode, I know from the previous posts in a thread on another forum that I frequently visit that most of the content that I'm going to mention in this post may end up with a few disagreeing.

So while there might not be a long post, with that said from my tweet this morning.....

"What can I say? They said that this was the episode that they tried to break @StTabitha, and they were right! Outstanding ep!"

Now for those who haven't seen the episode just yet, I have spoilered my thoughts on the episode below out of respect:

While I don't normally watch episodes featuring around elements such as love, crushes and romance, this episode was actually pretty good once you got the jest of the story down packed. According to Meghan McCarthy on her Twitter this was the episode where they tried to break Tabitha St. Germain and as you can guess from the tweet above, they sure did!

Speaking of voice actors/actresses, I particularly enjoyed Rarity's antics in this episode especially towards the second part of the episode where she cried her eyes out in front of Spike after Trenderhoof ripped and broke her heart into two.

The main part of the episode for me was towards the end when Applejack and Rarity squared off in their role reversal. Seeing Applejack reliving her fillyhood years in Manehattan and Rarity dressed differently and them throwing every point in the book was very entertaining to watch!

Apart from that, while this episode might rank as a "so-so" or competely disagreeable in some people's books, this episode for me provided a bit of comic relief from the usual storyline.

I also have written my full thoughts on the episode itself on my blog, which can be viewed here.

Also I thought I put together a post episode reaction art piece which took place after the event (spoilered for large file size):

2rNmdQ5.png

Full Size Version: http://rjrgmc28.devi...rmath-432601268

This episode didn't do much for me. It felt like a retread of Look Before You Sleep with the Applejack/Rarity rivalry and shenanigans. AJ blowing off Trenderhoof was probably the most interesting part of the whole thing, along with Rarity's "accent." Beyond that, nothing really interesting happened. Rarity stalling her work was met with no consequence, even after being mentioned several times by other characters. The whole story and execution felt very rote the whole way through. Watchable, but nothing worth a standing ovation. 3/10.

I would have liked to have seen Trenderhoof not fall for love at first sight personally. It robs him of a chance to have any decent character. I would have liked to have seen him start off with working on his article with Applejack, begin flirting Rarity style, have it turn into a crush, ?, profit.

This was good, not great. It was at the very least entertaining. Josh Haber seems good at making entertaining episodes without much substance. But the ending moral was good and something many adults really need to understand.

Overall, I'd place it under the Discord episode (which was the same for me, entertaining without much substance). Probably a 6.5/10 (while discord was probably 7.5 perhaps an 8).

Though I have to agree with Rosie, if I was going to watch this sort of episode I'd watch Look Before You Sleep. Same basic premise, only done far better. (but my word did Tabitha St Germaine do a FANTASTIC job in this episode)

I would have liked to have seen Trenderhoof not fall for love at first sight personally. It robs him of a chance to have any decent character. I would have liked to have seen him start off with working on his article with Applejack, begin flirting Rarity style, have it turn into a crush, ?, profit.

I think the point was that Trenderhoof's crush wasn't based on much substance, much like Rarity's crush on him. Neither actually new the person they had the crush on. Rarity is attracted to the celebrity and glitz of Trenderhoof while he is likely attracted to a rustic idea spurned on by a physical attraction to Applejack

Fun episode, I respectfully disagree with those who say it's a repeat of look before you sleep, for me that was probably one of the worst episodes... This one wasn't the best, and certainly wasn't the best rarity episode, but I did like it. As always, never dissapointed with Rarity. It was... rough.. at points though, I face-hoofed more than once at what was going on, though I laughed at at rarity's southern 'accent' she came up with (sorry, but (1) I hate the southern accent, and (2) I cant do a decent one even in writing (done _Ever_ ask me to RP as AJ or AB... the results... you have to ask just _how_ inbred they're supposed to be......x_x ) The Role Reversal though really amused me, and I laughed so hard at the ending to it ("where did you ever get... that gown?" "oh...um... its... er... one of yours..." "*eye twitch* I NEED BOILING WATER AND DETERGENT STAT!!!!" ROTFLMTO!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Overall, good episode I think :20:

Reversing their roles seems pretty funny. I'm even surprised that she has to jump into the mud as well. Although it's pretty odd that Spike doesn't show any jealousy against Tren. :o

Oh, nice continuation of Derpy's cameo, I love it when she's seen up close. No longer the Where's Waldo far-away search carefully with your eyes cameo shot.

Aww, Ashton, well, I gotta respect your opinion, but I find this episode far better than Suited For Success.

Oh goodness a child's cartoon that has a love at first sight trope? XD Heaven forbid..

The role-switch has been done before too; AJ was Rarified in Magical Mystery Cure (albeit much poorly). Tabitha really knocked out the role though -- it's clear she really enjoys playing the character and does a wonderful job. I think she can make even the most mediocre episode shine.

Like with anything, it's subjective -- we all like different episodes for different reasons, and what speaks to one person might not to the next.

I think the point was that Trenderhoof's crush wasn't based on much substance, much like Rarity's crush on him. Neither actually new the person they had the crush on. Rarity is attracted to the celebrity and glitz of Trenderhoof while he is likely attracted to a rustic idea spurned on by a physical attraction to Applejack

Substance? Bah! She's Applejack! Best pony! And not at all bad looking, and Trenderhoof just has a thing for southern girls. :/

I enjoyed the episode. Just felt rather short to me...And I wonder...

At the start there's a bored white mare in a Wonderbolts outfit. Wonder if she's just a random Pegasi in costume, or could she be Surprise? Her hair is a bit different..

No, Tacobob,

It's not Surprise, Surprise don't tie her hair to a bun and her facial expression is neutral, not exciting.

I also laugh a bit that we have 2 ponies in medieval armors as well. The elder one seem to be like have a little Rayman color in it. Oh, and we can cheer for Derpy, like I said, she appears up close, not far away like in the earlier seasons. We can thank Hasbro for this and ourselves for allowing her to be this close on camera without renewing that old controversy.

I adored everything about this episode all because of Rarity. Honestly, had any other character been in her shoes this would have been mediocre and boring for me, but Rarity was too adorable and hilarious the whole time for me to resist.

Best pony? Best pony. I'll always have a bias towards Rarity episodes. :catbug:

No, Tacobob,

It's not Surprise, Surprise don't tie her hair to a bun and her facial expression is neutral, not exciting.

I also laugh a bit that we have 2 ponies in medieval armors as well. The elder one seem to be like have a little Rayman color in it. Oh, and we can cheer for Derpy, like I said, she appears up close, not far away like in the earlier seasons. We can thank Hasbro for this and ourselves for allowing her to be this close on camera without renewing that old controversy.

Anyone can change their hair styles and er. facial expressions. You're not stuck with those! ;)

I'm just gonna assume like the guys in the armor, they were all just in costume.

I'm not sure I really see how it's like Look Before You Sleep. That was a story of two ponies who didn't understand or necessarily like each other finding the common ground to become friends through shared circumstances and newfound understanding. This on the other hand, featured two friends with a deep understanding and respect for each other, despite their obvious differences, one of whom gets it in her head to mimic the other to get something she wants. Really, to me it read as a new story centered on a friendship that has been gradually growing since Look Before You Sleep rather than a retread of anything we've seen before. If anything, Rarity's willingness to mimic Applejack speaks to just how comfortable she's gotten with her as a friend over the course of things. Seeing the friendships in the group grow and change from the early days of season one is something I actually look forward to seeing.

Personally, I probably like this one more than Look Before You Sleep (an episode I do still love). The humor comes from a more fun place; it's less about Rarity and AJ bickering and sniping at each other and more just about Rarity pushing herself in ways that make her look increasingly ridiculous, something Tabitha captures so very well in her performance.

Archived